Thursday, May 14

thrifty thursdays...

you always get a 'feeling' the minute you walk through the thrift store door as to whether it will be full to the point of over flowing with 'great finds' or totally 'crappity crap'.
last night it was a 'keep yourself under control Tif' type of thrifting night, someone somewhere, god rest her soul must have passed onto something better because what was on view hadn't probably seen the light of day for many a year...
half way through my 'trawling' i realized my thrifting ways were getting out of control... and so i did what i always do, pile my cart full and then at the end go through and select my 'absolutes' and put back the 'not today' items.
so for your perusal i give you...

a heavy cook pot ("what unearth does Tif need a cook pot for?" i hear you gasp, and perhaps even experience a wee tingle of fear for my loved ones).


that's a very valid question, after all we know my strengths lay elsewhere than in the kitchen. well i saw it and i noted how lovely the color was, then how hefty the weight was, then the sweet handles on the side and then it dawned on me that if i had such a cook pot in my possession then surely my cooking would improve. whilst i ponder what delight i am going to conjure up in it (and don't say it's the size of a small chicken) i have placed it safely on top of my dresser to gather dust.

the linens were looking especially lovely last night and i really did have to be selective, i found several tablecloths that will end up as curtains, a nice selection of pillowcases that i need not tell you their destiny, for you are always super duper clever at remembering things.
and then perhaps my favorite fabricky find was a tablecloth in lovely sludgy retro colors.


i can't decide whether it will get the chop in the end, something i will ponder on for a while...
next, a little orange cup thingy-me-bob that i felt most suited to live on my desk for keeping tags and cards in.


my thrifty find on Etsy this week is some wonderful vintage wallpaper squares. you just dip and stick, i have enough to cover one wall but alas i have no walls left to cover. now i am thinking i could perhaps cover a door or cupboard, then again my ugly filing cabinet could do with a lift and it would look just peachy covered in a little retro print, yet another thing to ponder upon.
i tried two panels out on my trash can in my studio as a trial run and it worked just brilliantly..


so that's our thrifty thursday round up... i am off to make our #4 feel super special on the day he has turned 11. to celebrate the up and coming event, a few days back he decided to embrace his maturing years by having his long flowing locks removed.
it was not unlike shearing a sheep, as i have never actually sheared a sheep i am only guessing, but i did break out into a wee sweat and was quite concerned at one point that i had unearthed a bird's nest. he is now sporting a rather natty little do most befitting for his 11th year...

she will see you tomorrow with grand news about the chickie peas ~ Tif

6 comments:

Gigibird said...

You can always use your croc pot to give no.4 a pudding cut.....he could perhaps start a tend which would culminate in David Beckham knocking on your door asking you to style him...... - just a thought...

Lola Nova said...

Right, enviable finds indeed. I am most enamored of your cook pot as I have a roast to simmer low and slow tomorrow and my Nanan's ancient oval cast iron has gone missing. I suspect the one with the beard, he can be a bit tricky.

Happy day to the boy 11, so handsome in his new coif.

P.S. We lost Irma (meaning not down the laundry shoot but rather she's passed, poor dear) Now we have a new wee chick chick I've called Suki. Keep your wee toes crossed for this one!

kat said...

ack! that cook pot is gorgeous!!

Francesca said...

those wallpaper squares are fab. great pattern and colours and lovely on your bin. you could 'upcycle' lots of things with that and bung em in your vintage store...or just keep it!

happy birthday 4! my boy always looks so much more grown up when he's had his hair cut.

Michelle said...

oh tiff...
did you shed a tear when the hair was cut...both my boys had long locks and i remember begin devastated when they were cut...
he does look very handsome with his new look thou...
loving the thrifty finds...
but a pot!!!what are you thinking...

~ junkyard Jennifer said...

I do the same thing at the thrift, pile my cart and realize maybe I went a little crazy, so I go back through it all and put things back that I know maybe I 'can live without for now'.

That 'sludgy retro' colored table cloth is so pretty. And, the pot is such a great find. I only became interested in 'heavy' cookware after getting a cast iron skillet last year and I'm on the lookout for them now whenever I'm thrifting or garage sailing.

Great finds!